TRORC’s offices are closed to the public. Deliveries and appointments are available if needed.  Staff are largely working remotely. Email is the best way to reach them, check out the staff page for contact information. We will try to keep this page up to date with the latest we hear from the state, as well as our own office operations.

Jump to Municipal, Non-Profit, Business, and Volunteer Resources, updated 6/22/2020

Municipal Resources

American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA)

On June 8, the U.S. Treasury released an updated FAQ document that provide clarification on eligible expenses and reporting requirements for the Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Fund (Recovery Fund). This fund, authorized under the American Rescue Plan Act, provided $65.1 billion in direct, flexible aid to every county in America, as well as other crucial investments in local communities. 

Specifically, the FAQ document addresses the following key items:

  • Costs of consultants: Recovery Funds CAN be used to cover the costs of consultants to assist with managing and administering the funds.
  • Public jobs programs: Recovery Funds CAN be used to establish public jobs programs (I.e. subsidized employment, combined education an on-the-job training, job training to accelerate rehiring or address negative economic impacts, childcare assistance or assistance with transportation to and from a jobsite or interview).
  • Revenue loss and audited financial data: If a county does not have audited data readily available when calculating its revenue loss, it is not required to obtain audited data.
  • Revenue loss and Census data: When calculating general revenue, counties should use their own data sources and do NOT need to rely on published revenue data from the Census Bureau.
  • Revenue loss on cash basis/accrual basis: When determining revenue loss, counties may provide data on a cash, accrual or modified accrual basis, so long as the county is consistent in their choice of methodology throughout the covered period and until reporting is no longer required.
  • Flexibility for costs incurred by March 3, 2021: The FAQ document states that the IFR permits funds can be used to cover costs incurred beginning on March 3, 2021. However, this limitation applies to costs incurred by a county government receiving Recovery Funds. Therefore, counties can use Recovery Funds to provide assistance to households, businesses and individuals (within eligible categories) PRIOR TO March 3, 2021. For example:
    • Public health/negative economic impact: Counties may use Recovery Funds to provide assistance to households, such as rent, mortgage or utility assistance, incurred by the household prior to March 3, 2021 (I.e. rental arrears from preceding months), provided that the cost of providing this assistance to households was NOT incurred by the county PRIOR TO March 3, 2021
    • Premium pay: Counties may provide premium pay retrospectively for work performed at any time since the start of the COVID-19 public health emergency (I.e. January 27, 2020.
    • Revenue loss: The calculation of lost revenue begins with the recipient’s revenue in the last full fiscal year prior to the COVID-19 public health emergency (I.e. January 27, 2020) and included the 12-month period ending December 31, 2020. Use of these revenue recoupment funds for government services MUST be forward looking for costs incurred by the recipient after March 3, 2021.
    • Investments in water, sewer and broadband: Counties may use Recovery Funds toto cover costs incurred for eligible water, sewer and broadband projects planned or started prior to March 3, 2021, provided that the project costs covered by the Recovery Fund were incurred AFTER March 3, 2021.
  • New CFDA number for the Recovery Fund: Treasury has updated the Recovery Fund’s CFDA number to 21.027 (it previously had the same number as the CARES Act Coronavirus Relief Fund – 21.019). If your county has already received funds or captured the initial CFDA number in your records, you should update your systems and reporting to reflect the final CFDA number for the Recovery Fund – 21.027. Counties must use the final CFDA number for all financial accounting, audits, subawards and associated program reporting requirements.
  • Water and sewer project eligibility: Counties do not need approval from Treasury to determine whether an investment in water, sewer or broadband projects are eligible under the Recovery Fund. A county should make its own determination that a project meets the eligibility criteria outlined in the IFR. However, when determining which projects to invest in, counties should familiarize themselves with other federal or state laws or regulations that may apply to construction projects independent of the Recovery Fun’s funding condition and that may require pre-approval.

COVID-19 VEM Update Call for Municipalities & Responders scheduled Thursdays at 2pm.  Form for questions.  Call TRORC for number and code.

Continuity of Operations (COOP) planning. Continuity of staffing is a particular concern in the context of COVID-19. COOP plans should include identification of essential functions and lines of succession. A local COOP plan template is available on the Vermont Emergency Management website.  Tory, Pete and Kevin can help too.

With the Governors Declared State of Emergency, responders are able to request Citizens Assistance Registry for Emergencies (CARE) registration data allowing the responders to plan and provide appropriate assistance for vulnerable populations.  See the Citizens Assistance Registry for Emergencies site for the request procedure.

Local Government Expense Reimbursement (LGER) Grant

Units of local government can contact TRORC for free assistance to identify and document COVID-19 expenses that are eligible to be covered under the LGER Grant. Act 137 of 2020 provides Coronavirus Relief Funds to various entities in Vermont for necessary expenses incurred due to, or as a result of, the COVID-19 public health emergency. The Agency of Administration, including the Vermont Department of Taxes, will be responsible for distributing the grant funds. Visit this page for details on the LGER Grant.

FEMA Municipal and Private Non-Profit (PNP) Public Assistance (PA)

Grants Portal now has a logic-based application wizard that will guide applicants through submitting a project application.

  • The project application is likely to change as policy eligibility criteria and internal controls are refined. New editions of the project application will be updated in Grants Portal.
  • The PDF version of the Streamlined Project Application is still a useful tool to provide applicants with a sense of the types of information and documentation FEMA will require. The PDF form is still available in Grants Portal, with the significant caveat that we will no longer accept PDF versions of the project application.
  • Applicants can now designate users as “Contractor/Consultants”, indicating that the user is employed by a company that provides services under contract to the Applicant or Recipient organization. This will provide flexibility in how projects are completed and enable applicants to leverage technical assistance. It will also allow FEMA and Recipient staff to track and report on applicants relying on contractors/consultants.
  • Coming Enhancements
    • Enabling recipients to have certain direct application projects route to them prior to heading to the CRC
    • Building out the RFI process for direct applications, including giving regions the option of routing RFIs through regional staff or directly to applicants
    • Functionality to enhance the customer experience for applicants without assigned PDMG

What are Category B costs?

They could be extra steps you have taken to protect a facility, or your people, or to warn people, or feed them, or open your Emergency Operations Center (EOC).  If an eligible organization has or may have at least $3,300 in eligible uninsured Category B Emergency Protective Measure costs, the organization should submit a FEMA Request for Public Assistance (RPA) form (see above links).  At this point you have to be qualifying critical organization doing critical tasks.  Essential organizations may be eligible later.  See eligibility links below.  Remember, there are still rules in disasters so try to procure any item or service properly and save everything (memos on selections, bids, calls, timesheets, invoices, checks, etc.)  These costs would typically be reimbursed at 75%, although that reimbursement can take years to happen.  FEMA is the reimburser of last resort so if towns can get funding from another source they must.  Services and supplies directly related to the pandemic are the typical qualifying items.  Large equipment purchases that can continue to used after the pandemic require additional justification.

What are Private non-profits (PNPs)

PNPs are pseudo-private non-profit organizations that own or operate facilities that provide certain services of a governmental nature. These often include schools, senior centers, food and shelter services, non-profit emergency services, hospitals, nursing homes, etc. 

FEMA Procurement

VLCT Resources

Business Resources

Agency of Commerce Information

Guidance from the Department of Labor

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources

Coronavirus relief options

SBA offers several different relief options to help businesses, nonprofits, and faith-based organizations recover from the impacts of COVID-19. You can view all options or skip to a specific program below.

In order to reach the smallest businesses, SBA will offer Paycheck Protection Program loans to businesses with 20 or less employees and sole proprietors only from Wednesday, February 24 through Wednesday, March 10, 2021. President Biden has also announced additional program changes to make access to PPP loans more equitable.

  • Paycheck Protection Program (PPP):
  1. Find a lender:
  1. Identify a loan:
  • First Draw PPP Loans: If you have not received a PPP loan before, First Draw PPP Loans are available to you.
  • Second Draw PPP Loans: If you have previously received a PPP loan, certain businesses are eligible for a Second Draw PPP Loan.

SBA is currently offering the following funding options:

SBA is preparing to offer:

SBA is contacting eligible businesses regarding:

Other Resources

General Information

Grantors ramping up and seeking donations now

Regional Community Action Agencies are on the front lines of helping with basic needs for your region.

Capstone Community Action (Central Vermont)  20 Gable Place, Barre, VT 05641  (802) 479-1053 or 1-800-639-1053

    • Bradford: (802) 222-5419
    • Morrisville: 1-800-639-8710 or (802) 888-7993
    • Randolph: 1-800-846-9506 or (802) 728-9506

Southeastern Vermont Community Action (SEVCA)  91 Buck Drive, Westminster, VT  05158  (802) 722-4575 or 1-800-464-9951

    • Brattleboro: (802) 254-2795
    • Springfield: (802) 885-6153
    • White River Junction: (802) 295-5215

Volunteer Resources


Many towns have set up Facebook Groups or websites Woodstock, Thetford for support needs.  Please remember to try to coordinate or least CC your work through your local town and EMD/EMC person as they can access the Citizens Assistance Registry for Emergencies (CARE) directory and other tools volunteers cannot.  These sites can help to coordinate volunteer delivery to the elderly and at risk populations, marshaling supplies, etc.   Groups have also set up links to a Google Form template to coordinate volunteers and needs.  Scroll to the bottom of the page for more information.

Orange County:

 Windsor County: