A ‘brownfield’ is typically an industrial or commercial property that is abandoned, idled or underused. These sites would likely be viable commercial, industrial or public use properties if they could be cleared of suspected contamination.

The overall goal of the Two Rivers-Ottauquechee Regional Brownfields Program is to promote redevelopment and create vitality within downtowns and village centers by returning brownfield properties to active commercial use or public greenspace. Our targeted priority areas are Hartford, Randolph, Bethel, and Bradford.  Reutilization of historically productive properties creates employment opportunities, increases municipal tax revenue, enhances community appearance, and protects the public’s health.

TRORC has funding from the EPA to assess brownfield sites in the TRO Region, and has received $1,600,000 over the past decade to perform petroleum and hazardous waste assessments.  TRORC works closely with Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation staff to promote redevelopment of brownfields properties, including enrolling properties in Vermont’s Brownfields Reuse and Environmental Liability Limitation Act (BRELLA) program.

No one should ever buy a property with past commercial use without doing a Phase 1 assessment, the minimum due diligence needed to avoid all liability.  Don’t let a Brownfields site continue to blight your community and take up valuable space! Contact us to see if we can do an Environmental Assessment for you at no cost. TRORC may be able to provide technical assistance, access to consultants that will conduct site investigations and remedial planning, outreach to the community and site neighbors, and other environmental management support as necessary.  TRORC staff will assist the applicant in enrolling in the Vermont BRELLA program and can bridge the gap between a privately owned site and government officials.

Assessments will only be conducted on eligible properties where owner permission has been granted. Since these funds are limited and participation is totally voluntary, we can only help those that ask. If the assessment determines that cleanup is needed, TRORC and its partners will help property owners seek funds to undertake the cleanup.

Below you will find the required forms for TRORC to consider your site for assessment work. Please complete forms to the best of your ability and contact Kevin Geiger upon completion. TRORC will assist you with finalizing form materials and submitting them to appropriate entities.

For Private or Non-profit ownership:

TRORC can only assist with Brownfield assessments. In order to pursue additional cleanup funding Vermont DEC has a Technical Assistance Program:

Call Kevin Geiger at (802) 457-3188 or email him at [email protected] if you know of a site that we can address. All inquiries are completely confidential.

Brownfields Links

Staff Contact:

Kevin Geiger, Senior Planner
[email protected] – 802-457-3188 ext. 124