July-August 2023 Flood Recovery (DR-4720, DR-4744)

TRORC has compiled a shortlist of helpful resources below. For a comprehensive list of resources, please visit Vermont.gov/flood.

For 2024, mitigation assistance is ramping up.  Towns apply to VEM on behalf of buyouts or other public projects.

  • Applicants do not need to have damages from the July 2023 flooding.
  • Eligible applicants must complete the Pre-Application Form by midnight on June 21, 2024.
  • Pre-Apps will be evaluated for eligibility, feasibility, and cost-effectiveness. Projects meeting these requirements will then be invited to apply, provided technical assistance, and submitted to FEMA, by late 2024.
  • Grants typically require a 25% local match. VEM currently has a General Fund allocation that will be used to cover the match for property buyouts.
  • Damage histories and projections will need to be documented in detail.  This is required!  Projects must be cost-effective through verification that future benefits (losses avoided) are equal to or greater than the project’s cost. This must be shown through a Benefit-Cost Analysis (BCA). BCA background  

See the Notice of Funding Opportunity for Vermont DR-4720 Hazard Mitigation Grant Program for more information.

Other Funding Opportunities

Flood Resilient Communities Fund (FRCF) was established by the Vermont Legislature under Act 74 with the intent of improving landscape and community resilience and reducing the future public safety and water quality impacts of flood hazards in Vermont, focusing on buyouts of flood-vulnerable properties. This program will prioritize projects that are not eligible for FEMA funding. Funding is currently limited, although towns and other eligible applicants are still encouraged to submit applications, which can be processed should more funding become available.

Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (BRIC) grant program to states and local communities for mitigation activities. The funding available in 2023 was $2 million for federal share set-aside for Vermont. Funding can be used for Project Scoping, planning activities, and project implementation. The deadline to submit application to the State for BRIC 2023 has passed. The funding announcement for BRIC 2024 is expected in Fall 2024.

Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grant program funds states, local communities, tribes, and territories to reduce or eliminate the risk of repetitive flood damage to buildings and structures insured under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The deadline to submit application to the State for FMA 2023 has passed. The funding announcement for FMA 2024 is expected in Fall 2024.

Questions can be directed to: [email protected]

For Towns

The Vermont Municipal Flood Guide was created to assist all types of Vermont town officials, boards, staff, volunteers and others, with considerations and resources related to flooding disasters. 

For Individuals

To get started, individuals should call FEMA at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), visit DisasterAssistance.gov, or download the FEMA App. Those who use a relay service should update FEMA with their specific number assigned to that service. Follow this link for FEMA in non-English languages.

Use these links to be informed about what FEMA does and doesn’t do, as well as answers to common rumors about what aid FEMA provides.

All TRORC towns have flood regulations, and you should check with your local flood official to see if your repairs to your home or site require a local flood permit. Any work done on streambanks may also need a state permit.

If your home was seriously damaged or is at risk, you may want to consider a buyout. To learn more about buyouts, watch this video. Grant funding may be available through Vermont Emergency Management (VEM) to cover 100% of the project cost for the voluntary purchase of properties at risk from flooding. If a property was damaged during the July 2023 flooding event, VEM may be able to fund the purchase the property at the appraised value the day before the storm. If any federal funding was received following damages from this event (e.g., flood insurance payments or Individual Assistance), property owners need to save all receipts showing that funding was used for repairs.

If a property was not damaged during this event but is at risk from flooding, VEM may be able to fund the purchase of the property at a current-market appraised value.

Key Resources

For Businesses

There are two major types of SBA disaster assistance loans available to businesses: Physical Damage and Economic Injury. For more information, please see this factsheet from the U.S. Small Businesses Administration

The VT Department of Economic Development (DED) has launched the Business Emergency Gap Assistance Program for businesses and not-for-profit entities that sustained physical damage in the flood to reopen and bring their employees back to work. This $20 million grant program will help businesses pay for net uncovered damage (i.e. after insurance, grants, donations, etc.).

  • Businesses with less than $1 million in net uncovered damage, including agricultural operations, will be eligible for a grant of 20% of the net documented uncovered damage up to a maximum of $20,000. For properties that sustained more than $1 million of damage, award amounts vary based on the number of full-time employees affected. 
  • Physical losses and damage can include physical space and/or replacements of inventory, machinery, equipment, and supplies. 
    • Business should collect photographs, insurance adjuster damage assessments, estimates for repairs to physical structures, tax returns, equipment, inventory, or supply purchases, actual paid expenses and other documents as requested.
  • VtSBDC Disaster Recovery Guide for Business
  • SBA SBA Disaster Assistance

For Agriculture